This is the finished artwork for After the Gold Rush art project. Before starting the artwork, I first created an arrangement of the music. I then sampled it as seen in this artwork. To complete this project, I will work with my arrangement to create the soundtrack. I have already purchased the mechanical license for this music, which of course is still under copyright. I have the metal frame from Woodstock, so I will only need to put the stereo amplifier together, and then install the soundtrack. Once all that is complete I will post a video of my arrangement
For this artwork, I wanted to make the music as large as possible. I did that but ended up with both the top and bottom lengths being 32 notes. That left little spacing between the notes. That raised a long time concern about fitting my music in a restricted amount of space.
This has been an issue from the beginning of this art. That is why I would first set the music out on the canvas on a table before attaching it. Since I am still in a small temporary studio, the only table large enough for this artwork is the ping-pong table on the lower floor. Because of the softness of the top layer caused by the scratch technique, and not wanting the distress of moving the canvas with the music attached, I decided against using a table. I felt I could better align and assemble the music with the canvas safely attached to a six-foot by four-foot stretched canvas on the easel. I had tested these same steps on the previous and smaller Christmas painting.
I taped a string along the top of the easel so I knew exactly where to place the top of the note’s stems. In this way, my arrangement had the correct up and down. Then excited to make sure all the notes fitted before the glue dried, I quickly attached the music, which comprised four sample sections. This well-documented concern caused me to forget to place the middle sections on different planes from the end pieces. I simply forgot to run another string. When I had finished, the top section I soon realized this error. I was beyond the time where I could safely remove any of the music without tearing away the top layer of paint. At first, I thought I would have to do the bottom layer also in one straight line, as I have done with most of my artworks over the years. This time I choose not to continue down that well-worn path. I move the bottom to two middle sections, one up and one down, and added some words along the artwork bottom to fill in as interest.
This video tells the rest of the story:
As I am writing this, I have sandwiched up this artwork and others between cardboard for safe travel. I have begun the slow removal of my temporary artist studio from a room that makes a better home office.
This is my 649th blog post. As I have mentioned one goal of the blog was to match the number of letters Vincent Van Gogh sent to his brother Theo Van Gogh, 651.
Scott Von Holzen