S_V_H Mozart Serenade No. 13

This first image of this popular Mozart musical piece does not show how complicated this project has become.  The original idea for this serenade was to create another mini type artwork. That would mean a simpler time-saving project to produce an easy to reproduce artwork. That did not happen. This work started on June 25th, and from that day on I this project has challenged my decision-making process. Every step forward has led to a step back to fix issues. The worse example of my obvious poor planning came over two weeks  into this project.

The original design of the artwork was to have a 4 by 6 canvas on the left side and the larger 6 by 8 inch canvas on the right side. After several attempts to glue down the first few notes, I realized that I had forgotten about the music box that was too big to hide behind the 4 by 6 canvas.  Although,  I had created and painted all the needed pieces of the music, I also forgot to make a note to hold the push button.  My concerned about my timeline with this artwork,  probably caused me to push ahead to quickly.  Reality hit when I realized I had no option to put the music box near the music note I needed to change for a push button.  That lead to the my only time-saving option, which was to remove my music progress, so I could then flip the artwork around to use the 6 by 8 canvas to hide the music box.

This artwork represents the first four bars of this famous Mozart music:

With this mini artwork I can see that I am under the influence of the earlier artwork, also a Mozart piece, Rondo Alla Turca.  In past mini artworks my notes would be all one color and the stems all a gray, but with this project it is all about color diversity.  With all my other mini artworks I  restricted my pallet to save time knowing that even small original artworks can take a week and more to complete.  With this Mozart,  my quickly involving style, and its influence, made it difficult to save decision-making and construction time. I should have realized that would happen once I lengthen this artwork.  To accommodate more of the music I pushed this artwork beyond the two foot limit that works best for a mini artwork.  That resulted in a  serenade that has evolved into a major mini artwork that is no longer a cost and time-saving mini artwork.  Time, that may be an underlying issue.  This art style is evolving quickly, which requires me to solve new issues with each artwork.  Maybe, this would not be an issue if I was in my twenties, but it certainly is as I near seventy.  So much music to paint. So much Time to live.

Scott Von Holzen

 

~ by Scott Von Holzen on 07/07/2018.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

 
%d bloggers like this: